Factors that Optimize Your Chance of Success with IVF
- Success rates are higher if the female partner is 39 years
old or younger. Women over 40 are counseled on an individual
basis so that they may have an accurate assessment of their
chance of success. Our oldest patient to deliver with her own
eggs was 44 years and 8 months old on the day of egg retrieval.
- The female partner must have a normal uterus, or
identified host, and either one functioning ovary or an
identified egg donor.
- Hydrosalpinges (tubes filled with fluid) should be opened
to drain, ligated, or removed. Pregnancy rates are lower and
miscarriage rates higher if the hydrosalpinx is not treated.
- All women attempting pregnancy must be taking prenatal
vitamins before conception. This reduces the risk of major
birth defects. There is an over 70% reduction in neurologic
birth defects only in women who are taking the vitamins before
conception. All other vitamins not prescribed by us must be
- NO prescription or over-the-counter medication should be
taken by either partner unless first reviewed by us.
- No herbs for either partner.
- A well balanced diet and exercise are important when
trying to conceive. See our healthy lifestyle page.
Copyright 2005-2017 Advanced Reproductive Concepts